In this release a Technical Preview of MDM for Windows 10 and 11 is included. The plan is to extend the MDM capabilities in ITMS to cover Windows 10 and 11 as part of the first release of ITMS in 2023.
The Windows MDM capabilities are hidden by default but can be enabled by changing a configuration setting in the console.
The purpose of the technical preview is to provide an early look at the Windows MDM capabilities so that you can provide feedback before the new features are released into production next year.
If you are interested in participating in the Windows MDM technical preview, please send Mike Grueber a message and he will add your name to the list. The plan is to begin the technical preview within the next few weeks.
The following new features are introduced or improved
- An updated Cloud Enabled Management white paper has been published – you can find it here.
Expanded OS Support for Symantec Management Agent
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5 and Oracle Linux 8.5
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.6 and Oracle Linux 8.6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9
- SUSE 12 SP5
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Expanded OS Support for the Symantec Management Platform (SMP/NS)
- Windows Server 2022 support for Notification Server
Patch Management Solution improvements
- Install Software Updates as part of the provisioning process – this is my absolute favorite in this release. With this feature you are able to install all latest or enabled updates during the provisioning process. Symantec provides a sample Job with the Release of ITMS 8.6 RU3. You can find the sample Job when navigating in the SMP Console -> Jobs/Task -> System Jobs and Tasks -> Software -> Patch Management -> Install Latest Software Updates Job.
- Be careful when you try to create your own custom Job using „Install Latest Software Updates“ because there are several things to configure correctly otherwise the Job will fail. Firstly, this is a Server Job and not a Client Job and secondly, you have to create a condition and most important: map the output from a previous task using the „correct“ selection otherwise it will not work. Take a look at the provided sample job and recreate it only if necessary.
Please keep in mind that you have to create a new Core Setting with the name of PatchCheckPluginVersionForClientsTasks with the value set to „false“. This isn’t created when upgrading to 8.6 RU3, you have to create this setting manually. If you read the Release Notes you might get the impression that Symantec will create this value for you and you only have to set it to False. Keep in mind that this is only needed when you want to run the Job on Predefined Computers – here is the KB.
New Report Filters for Severity and CVE ID Scores (CVSS v2 and CVSS v3) are available.
In addition a new option to not install Patches using the Software Update Plugin Policy or Managed Software Delivery Policies are available if the Device is running on battery power.
Deployment Solution improvements
- Download and Import Linux PE with 64-bit support and UEFI support LinPE Files can be downloaded here.
Ability to create WinPE ISO File(s) to support Remote Imaging. This ISO File can be used to create a bootable USB Drive and can be published to a web page to be downloaded.
If you want you can register and enroll to Symantec ITMS Training Videos on IMS Software Academy. As Category select Essential Security Products.
To get a complete overview of all new Features see the ITMS 8.6 RU3 Relases Notes.
Office Hours Session Recording 10th of August 2022 – View the Recording
Office Hours Slides 10th of August 2022 Review the Slides
Here is KB for Cumulative Post ITMS 8.6 RU3 Point Fixes updates until the next version of ITMS gets released.